Print Version    Email to Friend
Lozada back on the run

MANILA (UCAN) : Whistle-blower in the broadband scandal of 2008, Rodolfo Lozada, is on the run again, seeking sanctuary with the Association of Major Religious Superiors of The Philippines on February 6.

He claims that officials from the Justice Department attempted to arrest him. However, it is believed that it was a kidnap plan and that the men were not from the Justice Department at all.

Justice secretary, Leila de Lima, ordered an investigation into the matter.

Lozada exposed alleged irregularities in a US$329.48 million ($2.55 billion) broadband deal between the government and the Chinese company ZTE Corporation.

Former president, Gloria Arroyo, and her husband, Mike Arroyo, were implicated in the scandal.

The association of superiors said that Lozada sought shelter after learning that armed men posing as agents from the National Bureau of Investigation had been to his
home.

“Lozada wanted to make sure that his life was not in danger because witnesses in other major cases have been murdered recently,” the association said in a statement.

In early February, a suspect-turned-state witness in the murder of environmental advocate, Gerry Ortega, in 2011, was found dead in his prison cell.

De Lima confirmed that a group of men had visited Lozada’s residence and tried to serve an arrest warrant. “However, no such arrest order came from my department,” she said.

“There is no such order. Not from anyone … And so, clearly those men were impostors,” de Lima concluded.