Print Version    Email to Friend
Life after Pablo begins to take shape

 

MANILA (Agencies) : Caritas Philippines announced on February 4 that rehabilitation work in Mindanao, which was devastated by Typhoon Pablo on December 4 last year, is starting to take shape.

 

The Church aid organisation said it will prioritise the worst hit areas in Cateel, Davao Oriental, Siocon, New Alegria and Laak, all in the province of Compostela Valley, CBCP News reported.

 

With the support of its local and international partners, the agency initially continues to provide survival kits containing food and other basic needs.

 

“The project will eventually move towards recovery efforts and distributing shelter materials for the construction of better homes,” a spokesperson for Caritas said. The agency is also designing a comprehensive development programme as a response to the victims’ clamour for livelihood opportunities after the typhoon decimated their major crops—coconut and banana.

 

As part of its preliminary preparations for the Early Rehabilitation project, the team which visited the area in late January made a return visit to Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley.

 

The team also met with the Diocesan Social Action directors and other heads of humanitarian groups to coordinate assistance to communities that are still reeling from the aftermath of the typhoon.